Saturday, May 31, 2008

Delhi

Well Delhi has to be it. The city that I'd call home. I was born here. Spent some of the most interesting years of my childhood here. Did most of my studies in places I never imagined I'd live (Gwalior, Ludhiana)... but am completing my studies in ... dear old Dilli.
Chandni puts the first few years so well. Reading her post brought back memories so vivid, that sitting right here in the children's room, (on the lower half of what was our bunk bed...) I can see a curly haired brat grinning mischievously and prancing about on the pouf (I ALWAYS thought it was poof), I can hear Amma calling out to us for our headbaths, and smell cloyingly sweet Lakme Satin Rinse shampoo (I loved the rounded cap of the shampoo bottle)... As these images and whiffs hit me, I remember more.... compasses and colour pencils, my jaundice days painted yellow, walks in Eucalyptus park, evening games in the compund with crazy kids , much awaited visits to CP.... (Nirula's), Golden Dragon....
Fast forward to the present. Three years at Pusa. The three years that taught me so much. The gigantic Arjan trees, my drab hostel... with a name I (for some odd reason )always hated to spell out in public - Mandakini and now rechristened a rather unimaginative Varsha..just to add to the kitty of seasons the boys' hostels are named after.. Hemant, Vasant, Shishir. NBPGR.. my days at Lab E 206 and the days at Lab E 202. I learnt, taught, laughed, and cried so much that looking back, I don't know which if them I did the most.
The current phase in my Delhi Diaries is pleasant. Fed up of my hostel life, the oily repetitive menu in the mess and general depression (which I'm sure would have acquired massive proportions, had I decided otherwise) drove me back home. So here I am, sitting on the lower half the bunk bed right where Chandni and I had this ridiculous discussion about how when I'd be 11 she'd be 7. (And how old she's be when I'd be 13. And how old I'd be when SHE'd be 13... ad infinitum).
Living with parents for the first time is a different experience after several years with grandparents, and nearly over a decade of hostel life. I'm sure they know me better now.
I love the metro, the fact that CNG has made such a difference to the air we breathe now. I love the malls, Dilli Haat, Connaught Place, District Centre and all the places we hang out. I love Inderpuri and Krishi Kunj.. Oh yes, I love Delhi.
PS
Delhi Daredevils lost. huh. What Daredevilry.

2 comments:

Chandni said...

Ha ha at the following:

the remaining half our bunk bed :P

the me 7 you 11 conversations!

satin rinse cap! I remember that so clearly :)

The PS was a great sting in the tail!

Periwinkle said...

Mandakini I sure know why u were reluctant to tell it in public ..attribute it to wet saris and Raj Kapoor ..same feeling here...
and good u are living at home...Mandakini has got an atmosphere of depression that envelopes you(infact Pusa itself) ...maybe its got to do with mediocre students (read failed to get into medical and engineering) aspiring to shrug off mediocricity ..the strain is terrible(believe me) or females in the threshold of developing spinster syndrome..when i think back i remember how much time I wasted by being unhappy when i could have been happy..Im happy you are living away from all that stress and frustration....I remember some batchmates not talking to me just because i landed up a job faster than then as if i took it away from them thank God Im out of it too though i do love 135